Prior to the ‘property boom’ in the last half of the nineteenth century the whole district of Churt was very sparsely populated. The apportionment which accompanies the 1838 tithe map lists only 56 dwellings in the whole area. These ranged from cottages to farmhouses. About 20 of these were ‘farms’, none of them was very large. There were no ‘big houses’ and no manor house.
Some of the old Elizabethan buildings still remain though much enlarged, but most of the older houses in Churt are no earlier than Victorian. Here are some of the original farms.
And here are three of the Victorian cottages. The cottages of this era are nearly all built of Bargate stone.
In 1893 the vicar made a perambulation of the village and noted down the houses and people in this little book.
(Link to Vicar’s book here). This village walk is based on that book. (link to GD talk Vicar’s book)