Crossways Public House
In 1838 John Baker owned the ‘cottage and garden’ standing on the corner at the crossroads. He lived in Parkhurst Farm (now Quinnettes) just up the road but owned, and presumably, farmed the land in that corner of the village.
The only publican listed in the 1841 census is Charles Graggeory (Gregory as pronounced in the local accent). According to the tithe returns, Charles Gregory owned the cottages at the corner of Crabtree Lane and Jumps Road (the modern names) and was a tenant at the cottage now known as Bookhams. Presumably one of the cottages owned by Charles Gregory was an inn and tradition has it that it was called the Black Horse.
There were no people described as either publicans or beer retailers in the 1851 or 1861 census returns but in the 1861 returns both John Gregory and Charles Mathews are listed as victuallers. An entry in the 1855 Post Office trade directory lists them both as beer retailers. The directories were often a few years out of date. They had probably been selling beer from their property for a few years previous to that.
Four public houses were mentioned in the 1871 census. Arthur Chuter, described as bricklayer and public house keeper, was at the Crossways Public House. Andrew Marchant was the publican at The Pride of the Valley, built by George Marden in 1869. He was described as Public House and Coachman. Joseph Marshall, also appears as public house keeper and butcher, but the name of his establishment was not given. It was almost certainly the Devil’s Jumps Inn which appears on the 1872 Ordnance Survey Map which was based on a survey of 1871. The house on that site is now called The Cedars. The Devil’s Jumps Inn, newly-built, had replaced the Black Horse. Charles Mathews was described as a farmer and beer house keeper living at the Morning Star. The Morning Star gave its name to Star Hill. The house, which has been rebuilt, was later called Beefolds and is now known as Threeways.
Arthur Chuter was still the publican at the Crossways Inn in 1881 when it was called The Shant in the census returns and he was described as ‘bricklayer and publican’. Perhaps it was Arthur’s wife, Hannah, who, according to legend, gave the pub this name by refusing to accept the amorous advances of the customers!
According to the 1891 census John Nicholas Baker was a publican and carpenter living at the Crossways Inn. It was called The Cross roads Inn in some trade directories.
In 1895 the Crossways Inn was bought by Farnham United Breweries for £1,000. It was rebuilt at a cost of £599.4.10 and improved with a further expenditure of £31.10.0. In a photograph of 1910 it looks very similar to the way it looks today.
By 1901 the publican of the Crossways Inn was Silas Mullard. In this census return, although the pub has reverted to its original name, the lane, now known as Hale House Lane, was called Shant Lane.
In 1911 George Shrubb aged 45, a single man, lived at the Crossways Inn which had 8 rooms.
After that date we have had to rely on trade directories for information (although the 1921 census will be released in 2022) and we are informed that the publicans of the Crossways Inn since that date have been:
1913 Montague Mullard, 1927 – 1938 James Dickens, 1947 – 1958 R. Tickner.